Undergraduate Advising: Transfer Admission
Important Information about the Engineering Limited Enrollment Program (LEP)
LEP Application is due the 5th Business Day of June and January by 11:59pm.
* Internal (on-Campus) transfer students are encouraged to email us at email@example.com or attend an Information Sessions, since we currently do not have appointments available.
External (off-campus) transfer students are encouraged to meet with an advisor in the Pre-transfer Advising Office during their walk-in hours or they can be email at Pre-Transfer Advising .
- Transfer Info Sessions
- Current University of Maryland Students
- Non-University of Maryland Students
- Admission Requirements or Criteria
- Readmission Application
This one hour information session for prospective students will guide you through the transfer process, give an in-depth explanation of the Clark School's nine majors, and share with you academic, professional, and extra-curricular opportunities at the University of Maryland. Transfer Students' Information Sessions Registration Form.
Info Session Dates: TBA
Current University of Maryland Students
Current University of Maryland College Park Students can browse this page for additional information regarding admission to the School of Engineering, or contact the Coordinator of Limited Enrollment Programs for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-University of Maryland College Park Students can contact the Pre-Transfer Advisor for additional information about transferring to the University of Maryland.
Both external (outside UMCP) and internal transfers (meaning current UMCP students whose major is NOT engineering) will be admitted to the Clark School if they meet the following admission requirements:
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 in all courses taken at the University of Maryland and all other institutions is required for internal and external transfer students.
- Completion of MATH 141 with minimum grade of B- or better*
- Completion of PHYS 161 with a minimum grade of B- or better*
- Completion of either CHEM 135 or CHEM 271 or CHEM 134 (students who take CHEM 134 must also have completed CHEM 131) with a minimum grade of C-
- Students interested in applying to Bioengineering must also complete BIOE 120 with a minimum grade of B-.
Limited Enrollment Programs guidelines:
- Only one gateway or performance review course may be repeated to earn the required grade and that course may only be repeated once. When more than one course can satisfy a gateway requirement, taking a second course from the list will count as a repeat. (Please note that a grade of "W" is considered an attempt and must be repeated).
- Students may apply only once to an LEP.
- Students who were directly admitted and fail to meet the performance review criteria will be dismissed from the major and may not reapply.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 after admission to an LEP. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the major.
If you have additional questions about the transfer process, evaluation of credits or admission criteria please e-mail email@example.com.
If you have questions specific to the application or your admission status please contact the Limited Enrollment Advisor/Representative of Undergraduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Direct Admits: Direct Admits are students admitted to an LEP as first-time freshmen. In order to continue in the LEP major, students must successfully complete a 45-credit review. If a student is not directly admitted to an LEP, he/she will be assigned to Letters and Sciences. Students in Letters and Sciences wishing to major in an LEP will apply as internal transfer students.
Internal: If you have completed the above requirements, complete the online LEP application. The application is due by the 5th business day of the month as follows:
- Spring semester admission: January
- Fall semester admission: June
Once you have submitted your application electronically and your application has been reviewed, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions decision will be sent to your e-mail account instructing you of your next step.
External: If you have completed the above criteria, complete the University of Maryland transfer admission online application. If you been accepted as an external transfer student, you are required to attend a university orientation.
- The deadline for both readmission and reinstatement applications is November 1 for Spring and April 1 for Fall.
- Student will be readmitted to their former major if there are eligible to return. The Student Academic Success – Degree Completion Policy contains information about making satisfactory progress that could be helpful to students.
- Proof of a major change should be email to the Student Success Office or via a note in SIS (ERSR screen).
If you withdrew, took a leave of absence, or were academically dismissed at the conclusion of your last semester of attendance, you must apply for reinstatement. You may apply for reinstatement immediately following a dismissal or for any subsequent semester. Reinstatement applications require 4-6 weeks for processing. All applications for reinstatement are subject to review by a Faculty Petition Board. This is done by submitting an application for reinstatement which includes a written statement explaining the circumstances leading to your dismissal and a proposed plan to remedy past difficulties. Additional information such as medical documentation, letters of reference and recommendations, etc., may be submitted to further explain the circumstances. If you attended any other college or university since your last enrollment at the University of Maryland, College Park, official transcripts are required before your application can be reviewed.