Undergraduate Advising: Transfer Admission
Important Information about the Engineering Limited Enrollment Program (LEP)
LEP Application is due the 5th Business Day of June and January by 5:00pm.
Walk-In Advising Hours
Summer walk-in hours will be cancelled on Monday, August 11th, but will continue through August 25th.
*These hours are designed for internal (on-campus) transfer students looking to change their major to Engineering. External (off-campus) transfer students are encouraged to meet with an advisor in the Pre-transfer Advising Office during their walk-in hours.
Pre-Transfer Advising if you are transferring to the University of Maryland and thinking about engineering.
- Current University of Maryland Students
- Non-University of Maryland Students
- Admission Requirements or Criteria
- Re-enrollment Application
Current University of Maryland College Park Students can browse this page for additional information regarding admission to the School of Engineering, or contact the Coordinator of Limited Enrollment Programs for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com.
Non-University of Maryland College Park Students can contact the Pre-Transfer Advisor for additional information about transferring to the University of Maryland.
Both external (outside UMCP) and internal transfers (meaning current UMCP students whose major is NOT engineering) will be admitted to the Clark School if they meet the following admission requirements:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all college level coursework
- Completion of MATH 141 with minimum grade of B- or better*
- Completion of PHYS 161 with a minimum grade of B- or better*
- Completion of CHEM 135, OR CHEM271 with a minimum grade of C- or better*
- Students in other Engineering majors or Engineering undecided who wish to be a BIOE major must complete BIOE 120 with a grade of B-.*
* Only one 'gateway' or performance review course may be repeated to earn the required grade and that course may only be repeated once. A "W" and Audits counts as a repeat.
If you have additional questions about the transfer process, evaluation of credits or admission criteria please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions specific to the application or your admission status please contact the Limited Enrollment Advisor/Representative of Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com.
Internal: If you have completed the above requirements, complete the online LEP application. The application is due by the 5th business day of the month as follows:
- Spring semester admission: January
- Fall semester admission: June
Once you have submitted your application electronically and your application has been reviewed, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions decision will be sent to your e-mail account instructing you of your next step.
External: If you have completed the above criteria, complete the University of Maryland transfer admission online application. If you been accepted as an external transfer student, you are required to attend a university orientation.
- The reenrollment deadline for both readmission and reinstatement applications is November 1 for Spring and April 1 for Fall.
- Student will be readmitted to their former major if there are eligible to return. The Student Academic Success – Degree Completion Policy contains information about benchmarks and making satisfactory progress that could be helpful to students.
- Proof of a major change should be submitted to the Student Success Office via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via a note in SIS (ERSR screen).
If you withdrew, took a leave of absence, or were academically dismissed at the conclusion of your last semester of attendance, you must apply for reinstatement. You may apply for reinstatement immediately following a dismissal or for any subsequent semester. Reinstatement applications require 4-6 weeks for processing. All applications for reinstatement are subject to review by a Faculty Petition Board. This is done by submitting an application for reinstatement which includes a written statement explaining the circumstances leading to your dismissal and a proposed plan to remedy past difficulties. Additional information such as medical documentation, letters of reference and recommendations, etc., may be submitted to further explain the circumstances. If you attended any other college or university since your last enrollment at the University of Maryland, College Park, official transcripts are required before your application can be reviewed.