What is Mpact? | Disaster Resilience | Register for Mpact Week Events
Oct. 17 Agenda: Session 1
- 9:00 am: Welcome, Maryland Robotics Center Director SK Gupta
- 9:10 am: Introduction, Dean Darryll Pines
- 9:15 am: Keynote, Bradford Tousley, Director, Tactical Technology Office, DARPA, Presentation Title: “DARPA Disaster Response”
- 10:00 – 11:30: Robotics/UAVs Demos, Kim Rotunda, and Lab Tours, Multiple Locations
- Lab Tours:
Jeong H. Kim Engineering Building
- A.V. Williams Building
- Engineering Annex Building
- Robotics/UAVs Demonstrations in Kim Rotunda:
- Miniature networked robots that one day could be deployed on bridges and other infrastructure to monitor for early signs of failure.
- Unmanned aerial vehicles like our bio-inspired Robo Raven and quadrotors that can communicate with ground vehicles in emergencies. These robots could provide much needed, flexible aerial assistance in natural disasters.
- Robotic fish that can swim in rivers, bays, lakes and oceans to detect the presence of algae blooms, pollutants, or rises in water temperature.
- Tiny Terps, small robots with sensing capabilities that can work together to search through rubble after an earthquake and perform many other search and rescue tasks.
- Animal-borne wireless networks, special collars outfitted with GPS and video that will help scientists better understand the behaviors and movements of endangered species.