Alumni Cup Competition
Friday, February 21, 2014, 2-4pm
2014 TEAM CHALLENGE: Moving a CD/DVD at least 2 feet, inserting it into a CD/DVD drive, and playing the contents of the CD/DVD
What Is It?
An annual engineering design competition started in 2012 by the University of Maryland Alumni Association, Engineering Chapter. Teams of students from each department will compete against one another in a week-long challenge to develop a machine that will perform a specific task within certain parameters. Teams will be judged on the machine’s effectiveness in completing the task within the parameters given, a demonstration within the design of the team’s respective discipline, an oral presentation and rough sketches in correlation to the design, and team spirit.
The task and parameters will be given to each team on the Friday before Engineers Week (this year on Feb. 14, 2014). Students will have one week and a small stipend with which to design, sketch, and build the best machine within their ability to reflect their department. Teams will demonstrate their designs at the end of E-Week in the Jeong H. Kim Engineering Building Rotunda (this year on Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, between 2-4 pm). The judges’ panel will be comprised of 5 individuals from both the Clark School administration and the Alumni Association. The winning team will be memorialized on the Alumni Cup trophy displayed in the west lobby of the Glenn L. Martin Hall.
Why Are We Doing This?
The Alumni Cup is intended to generate department (and Clark School) pride, Alumni Association recognition, and a fun and fulfilling E-Week activity.
- 11:00 am: Kim Building Rotunda opens for teams to setup
- 12:30 pm: PowerPoint presentation and hard copy of sketches/drawing package due
- 12:45 pm: Judges convene
- 1:00 pm: Private presentations to the judges
- 1:40 pm: Judges caucus
- 2:00 pm: Competition introductions
- 2:10 pm: Round 1: Oral presentations and machine operations
- 2:45 pm: Judges caucus
- 3:00 pm: Round 2: Machine operations
- 3:30 pm: Round 3: Machine operations
- 4:00 pm: Winners are announced
- 4:10 pm: Group photo
Pictures and Video from Previous Competitions
- 2013 - Inserting a nail into a material for a 20-lb weight to be hung
- 2012 - Blowing up a balloon and popping it
Our 2013 Alumni Cup Winners from the Civil and Environmental Team:
- Erin Strittmatter (Team Captain)
- Laken Ensor
- Amanda Boehmlein
- Matthew Gladding
- Katie O’Brien
- Robert Marengo
- Jonathan Schneider
Our 2012 Alumni Cup Winners from Aerospace Engineering: